Thursday, May 13, 2010

Letter to author

Dear Mr. Mike Lupica,
 My name is Prasad Parikh. I have read your book "Travel Team". I am quite like your main character Danny Walker. I am a big fan of basketball and the NBA. I have a dream to go to the NBA just like Danny. As you probably know, you need to start somewhere in order to reach the top of the mountain or to reach the goal. The only problem is that I can make a recreational team but I can't make a real school team. Guess why? I am also short. I was also declined off a team because of my height just like Danny. Do you think that it is fair to not make the team because of something I have no control over? Just like Danny, I am also a point guard. Danny and I are much alike as point guards. Some point guards are shooters such as Chauncey Billups, Deron Williams, and Gilbert Arenas. Other guards such as Steve Nash, Chris Paul, and Jason Kidd are passers just like Danny and I. Players like us would rather make the last pass then make the ending buzzer-beater.  Well as you know, Danny doesn’t make the team because of his height. This happens to me when I go to sign up for a league. The try-outs are set to happen next week. When I go to the try-outs, I see that the other kids are very large in height and size. Still there aren’t many point guards trying out so I though I had a good chance. At the end of the day I know that I am the best point guard there (at least that’s what I thought). Than the coach told us he would give the players that make the team a call tomorrow morning. I was so excited that night that I couldn’t sleep and I kept thinking that when would the sun rise and the phone ring. Can you guess what happened next? Yep you’re right, there was no phone call. I wanted to know why I didn’t make the team. Was there a mistake, did he call the wrong house on accident? So I went to the coach. I asked him why I didn’t make the team. He couldn’t say any reason so he just pointed to the point guard he did pick and said go talk to him. I looked at the point guard and walked up to him remembering him not being so hot during the tryouts. When I asked him why the coach picked him over me he said because of his height and size. What do you think about this situation? Unlike Danny, I didn’t make my own team to prove something. What I did is went home and hoped I would make the team next year. The summer after this situation I read your book “Travel Team”. This book changed how I do everything. I put my heart out into everything I do. I also learned to never give up on something you really want because if you work towards what you want than you will eventually achieve your goal. This book inspired me a lot and brought reading to my interests. So anyway thanks for your time. I hope you didn’t get bored. I look forward to reading your other books and hope for them to be even better than ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment